Frequently Asked Questions
We know that take-out packaging, just by virtue of existing, will always be somewhat wasteful. While we might not be able to completely eliminate waste in the restaurant industry (yet!), we strive to minimize our clients’ environmental impact as much as possible by offering the best packaging solutions currently on the market. These include recyclable and/or compostable materials like Kraft paper, bamboo, and -- unlike most of our competition -- water-based coating, which enhances our products’ durability. But we know there’s always room for improvement. That’s why we regularly re-evaluate our product selection and update our offering as newer, more sustainable alternatives become available. In the end, we believe in a better future. And our goal is to minimize the environmental impact of take-out packaging as much as we can by offering the best available sustainable options to our clients.
Recyclable packaging is any packaging product made from materials that can be collected, processed, and reused to manufacture new products. These include materials like paper, cardboard, or any plastics that can be recycled through existing recycling systems. When you throw your recyclable take-out container in the recycling bin, you’re sending it off on a cyclical journey, meaning one that doesn’t end at a landfill.
Compostable packaging is any packaging product made from organic materials that can decompose under specific conditions. In addition to minimizing landfill waste, compostable packaging also enriches the environment by creating nutrient-rich fertilizer that helps plants and other organisms grow. However, in order to reap all the environmental benefits of compostable packaging, proper disposal practices (and the availability of widespread composting infrastructure) are crucial. So make sure you place this packaging in the compost bin and follow your local disposal guidelines.
Compostable packaging is often seen as a less eco-friendly alternative to recyclable packaging because compost relies on highly specific conditions for proper decomposition. Today, these conditions include environments like industrial composting facilities, which aren’t always widely accessible. Furthermore, recycling focuses on reusing existing materials, thereby reducing the necessity to produce new resources, which contributes more significantly to waste reduction and resource conservation.
Sustainable packaging is great for the environment. But it’s also great for restaurant owners. Here’s why:
1. Taking environmental responsibility: By using recyclable and compostable packaging, restaurant owners can reduce their environmental footprint and demonstrate their commitment to the planet. It’s just another way to take pride in your business.
2. Complying with regulations: Today, tons of cities and regions are starting to implement regulations that ban the use of single-use plastics. And business owners who fail to comply risk being faced with fines -- or worse. Using sustainable packaging ensures you’re complying with these requirements, so you have peace of mind.
3. Boosting your restaurant’s reputation: Today’s consumers are more eco-friendly than ever before. And that means they’re doing more than just buying sustainable products.
4. Sustainability has become a primary reason for customers to support new restaurants and for regulars to continue supporting their favorite spots. Using sustainable packaging can help attract new, environmentally-conscious customers to your restaurant, while showing your regulars that you care about the things that matter to them.
To dispose of recyclable packaging, make sure to thoroughly rinse it and then sort it into the appropriate recycling bin based on the material type (e.g. paper, cardboard, plastic.)
You can dispose of the compostable packaging at home, in community composting bins, or in organic waste collection, following the guidelines applicable in your municipality.
Pay it forward: let your customers know how to properly dispose of their take-out container so they can make the most sustainable disposal decision.
We offer a range of recyclable and/or compostable packaging materials specifically designed for restaurant take-out. These include:
1. Kraft paper: Kraft paper is a strong, eco-friendly material made from natural wood fibers, ideal for versatile and environmentally friendly packaging. It's compostable, recyclable, and doesn't require bleaching agents.
2. Bamboo paper: Bamboo, maturing more swiftly than traditional wood, offers an eco-friendly alternative to normal paper packaging. The inherent off-white hue of bamboo obviates the necessity for bleaching, thereby reducing its environmental impact.
3. Water-based coating (Aqueous) : Aqueous is a transparent water-based barrier coating used in food packaging. Unlike traditional linings, it is 100% recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. It also offers excellent moisture and grease resistance.
4. Birch wood : Known for its rapid growth and natural compostability, birch wood offers an eco-friendly alternative to single-use plastics. Our sustainably sourced birch products combine durability and quality with environmental responsibility.
5. Recyclable plastics: Recyclable plastics, such as PET (polyethylene terephthalate) and PP (polypropylene), are known as safe, durable, and 100% recyclable materials.
Our website provides you with all the information you need to determine whether an item is recyclable or compostable. Simply visit the item’s product page to view its detailed end-of-life instructions, which indicate whether it’s recyclable or compostable.
Our goal is to make sure that you and your customers have all the information you need to make the best disposal decisions. That’s why we’re actively working towards adding end-of-life instructions onto each of our physical products in the coming months.
Yes, most of the packaging products we offer are certified. Our clients’ trust is important to use as we strive to offer the most sustainable packaging options currently on the market. That's why we prioritize certified recyclable or compostable materials, as well as products that have obtained FSC certification (Forest Stewardship Council).
That being said, it’s important to acknowledge that, while these certifications provide some assurance of a material’s recyclability or compostability, they might not always encompass the entire life cycle or environmental impact of a product, as a whole. We recognize that certifications alone don’t always guarantee that a product is 100% sustainable, and we’re continuously working to improve our understanding of the environmental footprint of each material and product we offer. The bottom line is that our commitment to the environment extends beyond certifications as we actively seek out new ways to enhance the sustainability of our products and operations.
Absolutely! We’re pleased to offer our clients a range of customization options for their sustainable packaging products. With our customization services, clients can create a unique and cohesive look for their take-out packaging offering by adding their restaurant’s logo, signature colors, and other branding elements. Want your own branded packaging? Contact our customer service team to discuss your specific customization needs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Soyle does everything in its power to support local production in Quebec. However, in order to provide you with a greater variety of products while maintaining competitive prices, we also source from China. We hope to one day bring back the entirety of our production to Canadian soil. Look for our locally made products with the proudly displayed maple leaf logo.
We’re proud to offer quick shipping services across Quebec with 1-3 business days turnaround, all at competitive pricing. Please note that certain restrictions may apply to remote areas. For further details, please visit our Express Shipping page.